Monday, August 3, 2009

Look who I met today...

For those of you who aren't piano nerds...this is Jane Bastien, as in the co creator of the Bastien Basics Piano series. She and her late husband James created the books i learned from and the books I now use with some of my students. I went to a clinic today and felt cool to meet a person who has actually has a Lifetime Achievement Award. Unfortunately piano teacher are most commonly funny old ladies with huge hair, I should know as I was sitting behind one of them and her bright orange hair often blocked my view. They were all extremely friendly and I have to admit I felt a bit out of place when they all started singing along with the songs Jane was playing (yes I just called Mrs. Bastien Jane). One woman asked me if I was a student because i looked like i was 17. I smiled and said nope, I'm 26. Obviously her eye sight was so bad she couldn't see my crows feet which are displayed in the photo above. The workshop was great, the lunch was yummy, and I even won a door prize! Yippe skippy! The funniest part of the whole day had to be when I asked to take this photo and Jane said, "oh shoot I had lipstick on earlier!" Women of all ages, even ones with a Lifetime Achievement Award, still worry about their looks. Gotta love it!

4 comments:

Anonymous said...

I hope you have found the sticker! That sounds just like me---and I love the gators:) It makes me miss the mission. I served near Beaumont and out in LA. Maggie would love to hold that little one, if I let her.

The Powells said...

I learned from her Piano books too! That's funny that you got to meet her - I hope that you don't get pulled over either... ugh!

Frasure Family said...

I know exactly the books you are talking about. You must have had a really good teacher who introduced you to them. haha. was my mom your first teacher? I will have to tell her you met her.

Lindsey and Brett said...

I remember those books! That's neat that you got to actually meet her. And I don't see these alleged crows feet you speak of. You still look 17 to me too.