Friday, June 26, 2009

Rounding the Wagons

Its easier for me to write this than to hear it said aloud so I apologize if this suprises a few of you or seems too personal. I'm sorry if you didn't hear it from me in person first but really its hard for me to talk about. I debated whether or not to make this part of my life public. But since this blog is really my journal and most of you reading are such dear friends I decided to let it all come out. A few years ago my dad found out he had Prostate cancer. My siblings and I decided to all fly home for a weekend and support my dad. A friend of my mom's told us that we were "rounding the wagons". As the pioneers traveled west whenever danger arose the families would "round the wagons" to create a circle of safety and support. This weekend I feel that it may be time to round the wagons again. My dad will find out today if the likely cancer found in his colon has spread to his lungs. Ever since the word cancer entered our family's vocabulary I always convinced myself that I would not let my mind to think of the worst or to cry over things that may never happen. Somehow I tricked myself into thinking that only when death was certain would I allow myself to truly grieve. I have filled my life with distractions and kept most of my emotions locked inside for fear of not being able to retrieve them once I let go. I called my dad on Father's Day only to catch my breath as i heard him cry for possibly the 2nd time in his life. All of a sudden I felt so helpless. I had no idea what to say to my dad. Through my sobs all i could say was, "I'm sorry that you're sad". This past week I think I've cried a little each day. Mostly I cry for sympathy for my dad. I feel horrible that he has to go through all of this. I felt so aweful on Sunday that Daniel and I decided that the only thing we could think of that might offer some comfort to my dad would be to bring two little things that I'm most proud of in my life, my kids. Sunday we head off for the 35 hour drive to celebrate or comfort the news from today's surgery. When I told Kolby that papa was sick he looked at me with confidence and said, "I will pray for him and then he can get better". Today we pray and fast and just wait. I felt strongly in the temple yesterday that no matter the outcome , just as the pioneers declared, "all is well".

8 comments:

Julie Barnes said...

What an incredilbe little testimony Kolby has. My Mom was diagnosed with breast cancer in 2007. We hold our breath every time she goes back to the doctor. I will keep your family in my prayers.

Kylee said...

Sabs, I am sorry to hear about your dad. Cancer is one of those hard words to hear, and even harder when it is someone that you are close to. I hope that everything turns out the way that the Lord wants because that is always what is best for us (whether we understand it or not). Good luck on the drive as well. That will be good for you to be with them. Also, I am glad you had fun at Girl's Camp. Those were fun days!

Stephanie said...

Well I do just as Kobly said and pray for your dad and your family!! I hope your visit will be for celebration but I KNOW whatever the outcome will be, your trip will be LOTS of fun and filled with great memories. What better things to have around than Kolby and Olivia (and their parents too). Enjoy your drive.

Wish I could have been there at girls camp. Maybe next year.

Landon and Dana said...

hey Sabrina. It's Dana! hang in there and have such a fun trip. I am sorry that you and your family have to experience this. You are wonderful...

Laurie said...

Sabrina,
What a great day this has been hearing the news from the surgeon that the mass was benign and had nothing to do with the other cancer spreading. The look in your Mom and Grandparent's eyes was one of such joy and relief. We were practically jumping up and down for joy. Tell Kolby that Heavenly Father heard his prayers. Your parents are really looking forward to you coming, especially your Dad. Your kids will be the best kind of medicine!
Laurie

Texasholly said...

Oh, I didn't even see this post until today. I had heard about your dad, but didn't realize how serious it was until you were at girls camp. I am so thankful that the results for your dad's spot on his lungs were benign. We have been and will continue to pray for him. I am so glad y'all are able to go spend time together as a family and "round the wagons" once more. Have a safe trip!

Jeri said...

Sabrina,
I hadn't read this post before I talked to you at church today. I'm sorry to hear that your dad is sick, but I am glad that he got good news from the surgery. I hope you guys have a fun and safe trip. I will look forward to seeing and talking you when you get home. You and your family will be in my thoughts and prayers.
Jeri

Frasure Family said...

man, you brought me to tears. I had no idea. How wonderful it will be to go and see them! I hope it hasn't spread! Tell them I said hello and we will be praying for you too!