Friday, April 1, 2011

There is a time...

Awhile ago I went to a conference with these two lovely people...
The Perrys.
We all know and love her music but it was so refreshing to hear them speak of faith and families and overcoming your fears.
In her talk, Sister Perry quoted a poem.
I was reminded of it a few days ago when I attempted to take my 11 month old, 3 year old, and 5 year old swimsuit shopping with me. After a few too many visible stretch marks, not enough padding, serveral crawling under the door escapes, and two potty breaks, I remembered why my last three suits have been purchased online.
You're wondering what this aweful expierence has to do with Janice Kapp Perry or a poem?
The poem is called, There is a Time.
I love reading it because it gives me hope for the time when I will have "years of self expression" or simply swimsuit shop alone, and it makes me appreciate this time when I "seldom roam far from little hands that hug".
Enjoy all the times in your life.

There Is A Time

By Millie Foster Cheesman from her book Reflections of Modern Pioneers

I

There is a time to grow to receive to live to prepare. There is a time to learn to believe to serve to share. There is a time to love to marry to bear children. To stay close to home and hearth and seldom roam far from little hands that hug!

II

Oh, then is the time to teach from all you have learned, to let little ones see how you respond to the daily turn of events.

III

There is a time for tears and faith and years of routine days until legs and limbs and spirits are strong:

IV

And somewhere along this road is a time to let go, to release. And know that your children through you have also grown and received and shared. For they have been taught faith and served and shared!

V

Oh Yes There is a time of personal yearning so, through the years NEVER STOP Learning!

VI

For there is a time for years of self-expression when families are grown with children of their own. Oh, then is the time for endless creativity and service and personal productivity content in the knowledge that

VII

There was a time when you did not falter when hearts were young, and none were sacrificed at the altar of your own self-expression.

VIII

Yes! Through your life when deeds were bound close to baby hearts, in work somewhat less sublime than that which you had planned, you can say “Hold fast my inner self and remember . . . “There is a time!”

6 comments:

Anonymous said...

Thanks SO much for sharing that! It's just what I needed at 1:30 AM......and I think you would look great in any swimsuit:))

Jessica said...

Thanks for that...loved it and needed it. And yes, swimsuit shopping online only ;)

Ryan and Brittany said...

So beautiful...yes the quote and you in a swim suit...I presume you were trying on all the skimpy bikinis? Thanks for the email too....saving that quote...i love it!

Texasholly said...

Oh my gosh, you read my mind! I asked mom after the conference who the poem was by and she didn't know. Then last night I thought of it again and made a mental note to ask you!

the other lawton's said...

it's only too quickly that you will get to do all that alone...they grow up too fast. i often miss the days when my life was a full day of chasing kids. you're the best!

Anne Gould said...

You don't know me. I went to a fireside tonight given by the Perry's. Had the same inspiration you did with this poem. Went to Google it online and up popped your blog. Glad you posted it. I had so wanted a copy. I have three compact packages that my whole world is wrapped up in too. Lots of joys and lots of frustrations. Wouldn't trade it for the world. Went from being a stay-at-home mom to now recently a single mom with no support. This poem pierces my heart with the realization that that precious time with them has shrunk even more....It's a good reminder of priorities. Circumstances may have changed, but this is still my time with them and I am grateful for every minute!