Wednesday, April 6, 2011

For the birds

In junior high my bff and I were pet sitting for a friend. After "Beakers" pooped on my shoulder I decided birds were a nuisance. For years not only have I kept my opinion, but each morning as the constant chirping and cooing taunts me I have actually come to despise the creatures.
That was until my kids decided they wanted to learn about birds.
We read about every bird from peacocks to penguins to vultures.
My sister gave me this fab idea to make "bird-noculars".
We went bird watching and actually sighted a hawk, bluejay, woodpecker, vulture, egret, and of course some crows.
We had so much fun I decided to extend our very own bird week into my turn at teaching preschool. We wrote stories about birds, sang songs about birds, learned to tell time with our owl clock, danced like birds, and spelled bird vocab words.
I am sorry for loathing you for so long birds.
You really are a facinating animal.
That being said...don't get any ideas, you will just never be allowed in my home and it would be nice if you stayed away from my garden and occasionally piped down when i'm trying to sleep.

3 comments:

Jessica said...

we tried bird week last summer and dawson said that week was very boring...we didn:t get into vultures though...maybe if we cover some type of dangerous bird, maybe something with sharp teeth he'd enjoy it more or maybe he's matured a little and we can try again this year.

Unknown said...

You are seriously such a cool mom!

Lindsey said...

Rest in peace beakers. Rest in peace.