Monday, February 21, 2011

Presidents Day- Preschool

Happy Presidents Day!!!
I'm not sure if I've ever actually celebrated this holiday before but since its my week for preschool I just couldn't resist an opportunity for a theme:)
I made the sample Obama flags with just my kids earlier. In my attempt to keep my kids educated but still politicaly impartial I thought we'd have a discussion.
This is how our conversation went:
Me: This is our President. President Obama. What is his name?
Olivia: Prophet Obama.
M: No he's not a prophet. He doesn't even go to our church. President Monson is a prophet and he is the president of our church. President Obama is the president of our country.
Kolby: Oh I know, like President Uctdorf.
M: No, actually he's not like President Uctdorf at all. Let's just call him Obama ok?
Kolby and Olivia (to the next door neighbor): Wanna see my Obama? I have 2 Obamas!
I was hoping things would be smoother with preschool today. Those smart cookies still listed off President Monson and President Hinckley. Is it a bad thing that our 5 year olds know these presidents instead of the presidents of our country? I think not.
Here's what we did today:
"I pledge alligence..."
I just so happen to have a ginormous flag in my coat closet at all times
(the one and ONLY perk to having a scout master huuby)
The Reading...
These books are seriously hillarious!

The art and activities... ideas were found here: http://holidays.kaboose.com/presidents-day/presidents-day.html For music we sang: Our Presidents (Sung To: "O Christmas Tree") Submitted by Aaron Our presidents, our presidents, We honor them today. Our presidents, our presidents, We honor them today. Remembering presidents of the past, And honoring him who serves today. Our presidents, our presidents, We honor them today.

Do You Know? (Sung To: "Mary Had a Little Lamb") Submitted by Rebecca Do you know who's on the penny? On the penny? On the penny? Do you know who's on the penny? Abraham Lincoln. Do you know who's on the quarter? On the quarter? On the quarter? Do you know who's on the quarter? George Washington. Note: Continue with other coins if you wish

For math we:

made patterns and counted our money:)

FYI:

I may have had to ask my dad which president is on the dime. Haha all this time and I never thought about it before:) Don't laught at me too hard. Do you know who it is?

Even I learn stuff at preschool.

I'll be interested to hear whether or not the parents believe me when I say that it was a purely non-political lesson today and yet their child comes home with a picture of Obama and a baggie full of money:)

Nothin says Happy Presidents Day like a little corruption.

4 comments:

Lindsey said...

Wanna know how I celebrated Presidents Day?? Sleeping in. French toast. Shower. Chocolate chips. Blogging. Laundry. LOTS of Laundry.
You are far too amazing for me to even try and keep up with. I need to move closer to you, so my children can be well educated. ALSO, mother of the year award goes to you. The fact that your kids think of church leaders before anyone else...show's your a FANTASTIC momma! Honestly, that is awesome:)

Unknown said...

I love "Duck for President"!

I love that they know Pres. Monson and Pres. Uchdorf and not Obama! You are doing something right!

Abby said...

Maddox came home and told me he colored both of his presidents black.....thankfully they were Lincoln & Washington and he colored the entire page black....hahaha I was relieved.

Ryan and Brittany said...

sniff sniff I am so proud of my sister... you are such a good teacher! love that you are teaching them to all love Obama haha