Tuesday, March 23, 2010

Spring {break} aka Project Time

Project #1: (the mother of them all)
Sunday night Daniel let me know that he had a plan to build a garden over spring break. He said it'd only take a couple days. (actually it took an entire week)
We made a list of other projects that needed to be done during the week with high hopes.
Here's the before picture, well kinda. It was all grass and weeds before but i didn't get out there fast enough with my camera.
Step 1 clear the land. (i sound like a farmer)
Step 2: teach your children the value of work...teach them to wear pants another day. Kolby worked so hard in the garden he earn enough money plus all the allowance he's been saving up to buy Wii Resort Sports. Ya he was pretty stoked. Olivia was happy just to be covered in dirt. Step 3: lay out the design and make sure everything is level
Step 4: pour concrete for a base, (amidst the rain), and spend the next few days from sun up to sun down laying and mortaring brick.

Step 5: shovel in 1 yd of manure (or poo-poo dirt as the kids call it)
Step 6: plant
(strawberry patch)

(tomatoes, peas, green beans, squash, cucumbers, and carrots) oh ya and my one contribution...impatients in the flower pot.
The finished product.
If you plant it it will grow right?

10 comments:

maggie said...

Easy there Tiger! You're going to NEST yourself to DEATH!!

It all looks great...now take a nap baby mamma!

The Patterson's said...

Seriously Amazing! You've inspired me. Too bad I don't have any land though. Seriously though it looks gorgeous!!!! Good job getting the kids to work for ya. ha ha

Jessica said...

way to go! I wish our planting time was here already, but it's just still too wet...

Sabs said...

um perhaps i wasn't clear about this...the garden was all daniel's project. i in no form helped dig or haul anything. i merely planted my flowers. just don't want any underserved credit:)

Darren and Brandi said...

Your room looks amazing. And holy crap, that garden looks professional. I want one.

The Powells said...

Sabrina i am so jealous of your garden! plus you live in a place where it's sunny enough for your stuff to grow (i try, so i plant everything I want, but nothing grows...) and I LOVE your bedroom. Can you fly out here and do mine?

Unknown said...

The garden looks great - good job, Daniel!

Kylee said...

What an amazing garden! It looks great! I especially love Olivia in her underwear...gotta love real life! :)

Dianna said...

Wow! It turned out awesome. I'm going to have to show this to my Daniel. He is in the process of building a square garden but ours is just out of wood. He better step it up! :) Better grow after all that work!!!!

Unknown said...

That is a really superior garden. I can't imagine taking on that kind of project. I will be happy if I put some flower baskets out front and plant some tomatoes in buckets. Good luck and enjoy!