Tuesday, February 16, 2010

Tree-hugger-wanna-be

In 3rd grade my BF and I watched Ferngully and became obesessed with saving the rainforest. We even held our own art gallery hoping to sell our paintings of the rainforest and donate the profits. Who knows how many trees they had to cut down to supply our reams of paper.
********************************************************** When i was in the 4th grade i ran for student council vice president and won it with an amazing new concept as my platform, "Reduce, Reuse, Recycle". I was very passionate about saving the planet or at least getting to get out of class for special student council meetings.
********************************************************** I moved to the Northwest the June before 7th grade and could be seen sporting my "Save the Whales" t-shirt throughout the summer. yes, its true i couldn't help it i was surrounded my tree-huggers.
********************************************************* Don't get me wrong, I love the environment but somewhere between childhood and motherhood I went from caring about the world to caring about MY WORLD. ********************************************************** I don't even own a recycling bin...shameful. Much to my father's dismay (he lives in Seattle and works in Prtland so i can't blame him) I go through the drive through at the bank...thus creating my very own hole in the ozone. I buy and will continue to buy disposable diapers because frankly i am lazy. To top it all off, yesterday i got rid of my house plants once and for all. Did i feel slightly like the bad construction men on Ferngully? perhaps. Then again, now i don't have to worry about watering them or sweeping up the dirt that every child seems drawn to upon entering my house. ********************************************************** So i suppose i am all for saving the rainforest, the whales, and the planet....just not the house plants:)

4 comments:

The Patterson's said...

I just kill the house plants anyway.

The Aprecios said...

we would have been best friends had we known eachother as kids.

i was the same way. my husband will tell you that now i am too lazy to walk the extra few steps it takes to recycle the cat food cans.

Dianna said...

Me and real plants don't get along!
I LOVED Ferngully. Holly even bought me a Ferngully t-shirt for my birthday.
We have always been sisters at heart.

Amber said...

Super cute valentine pics and stories below- the whole chug our chosolate milk and then hurl it has happened to us too!
And I just love all your tree-hugger sprees throughout your life- it's funny how our focus changes.