Wednesday, January 27, 2010

Backwards

I started noticing that things are a bit backwards around here. Last week we started preschool again. I was teaching so i actually woke up early, showered and set the breakfast table before kolby woke up... this never happens in my house. I went to wake him and he was genuinely suprised to see me. He said, "Wow mom, you set the table for me?" A little pathetic that my 4 year old is shocked to not have to be the responsible one in the mornings:) Then out of no where kolby started making his bed. I asked Daniel if perhaps they'd discussed this in their PPI. nope. He came up with it all on his own. After a few days he decided to make my bed for me too while i fixed my hair. When he couldn't get the pillows just right i told him not to worry and that i would do it. He said, "NO mom I want to help because that's just what families do". And for FHE this week we were discussing things that our stake presidency has asked us to do. Kolby decided that he needed to say his prayers by himself every morning when he woke up. The next morning we were about to eat breakfast when he said he'd be right back. He ran upstairs, said a prayer, and then joined me at the table. Ummm let's not mention how I am totally not the example of this behavior. Yesterday Kolby told me that when he is a dad he will sleep in my bed and i will sleep in his little dinosaur bed. He will need to sleep in for a long time and i will need to set the breakfast table. I'm so glad he's got it all figured out. So despite the fact that sometimes my little man can drive me bonkers, I'm beginning to see that this whole time i had things backwards. Perhaps he's here to parent me:)

9 comments:

Frasure Family said...

Wow! That is pretty amazing. It makes you think Am I teaching them everything they need to know. Yes it sounds like you are. Wish we didn't live so far away and our little ones could play! We started a toddler class today. I am excited to be teaching them:)

Unknown said...

We do learn so much from our little ones, don't we?

Kolby sounds like a "keeper"!

Dianna said...

That is SO PRECIOUS! I LOVE THAT KID!!!!

Abby said...

Aww what a sweetie!!

the other lawton's said...

i love kolby...what a great kid! what great parents!

jed-laura said...

OMG
HA, SO CUTE. What an amazing little boy. Keep it up little man.
-Laura

Ryan and Brittany said...

well you must be doing something right to have such a mature son! I hope i have kids as well behaved as yours... you lucky duck!

One Woman's Thoughts said...
This comment has been removed by the author.
One Woman's Thoughts said...

Oh, you'll need to keep this memory close for when he becomes a teenager.
Seriously though, thanks for sharing such a precious memory with us!