Friday, September 19, 2008

Got Milk?

...yes finally! I've discovered that food storage actually applies way more to the after math of the natural disaster than to the actual time of the disaster. I realize that it seems so obvious but i really didn't expect there to be lines just to be let in to a grocery store, or limits on how much milk a family could buy, or for stores just being completely out of all milk and frozen goods almost a week after the storm hit. My mother-in-law and I ventured out today to H.E.B. and were pleased to finally see some full shelves. I think the gas shortage is almost solved in our area as well. I heard a story on the radio about people waiting in line for gas over 3 hrs and then getting to the pump to find out there was no more gas to be had. There was one case where a man got impatient, pulled out a knife, and a police officer shot him. Basically the past week we've stayed at home to save up our gas and tried to ration our milk to make it stretch as long as possible:) I just guzzled a whole glass without any guilt. mmmmmmm milk, it does a body good!

4 comments:

Jessica said...

Why didn't you guzzle a whole glass of tasty food storage powdered milk last week...hehe...I'm glad you are getting things back to normal. It's a good reminder to make sure everything is prepared for a disaster.

Lindsey said...

Wow....and to think that I took a glass of milk for granted this week. I am SOO sorry. If I would of known, I would of taken a picture of me drinking it. Sorry.

Stef said...

wow. crazy ness! I know we're still fighting the gas shortages here. many places still don't have gas. thankfully our state started going after the gas stations for price gouging. when we were getting to 5+ dollars a gallon, then all the sudden they dropped down to the origional prices. glad you got to get some milk!

Stephanie said...

As soon as I heard about the lines for the grocery store, we were on our way to SA. Crazy!! We kept coolers of ice in our house so we could have milk. Me or my kids would not survive w/out it. We also ate like a 100 bowls of cereal so it wouldn't go bad.