Thursday, May 28, 2009

The Writing on the Wall

When Kolby was just under 2 yrs old he found Daniel's shoe polish and decided to stamp our walls with black circles. I figured he was so young and didn't know any better. I explained that we don't color the walls and i had him help me clean it up.
Nearly 2 years later I'm realizing that my little "no-coloring-the-walls" lesson had a rather short shelf life.
2 days ago he decided to color his walls and toys with a red crayon. I sat down and talked with him and told him that we only color paper. I had him help me scrub the walls and his toys....still working on the walls. I was upset but tried to remember that they are just walls.
Yesterday while he was "napping" in the 10 minutes that i was not sitting at the computer, he snuck into the playroom, climbed the desk to find a black dry-erase marker and decorated the playroom closet and my toy cubbies.
I'm going crazy! Didn't i just have this talk with him yesterday?! I had him help me scrub, put him in his room and I've tried to lock up as many writing utensils that I can find. I can repaint and scrub walls but I can't stand the fact that my child is saying that he will never do it again and then doing it less than 24 hrs later. grrrrrr.

9 comments:

peterson said...

You are a better mom than me. last Saturday we got ready to go to a BBQ and as we got to the car we saw Mackenzie writing on our car with a marker she found outside. We should have made her help clean it up but instead we talked to her about only writing on paper even outside. she didn't even go to timeout.

Dianna said...

Oh how frustrating! Thank goodness Kinleigh is really good about not getting into things that she knows she is not suppose to, but I have a feeling Levi is going to be a different story. I just can't imagine Kolby doing that.

Holly said...

Maybe scrubbing the walls with you is too fun!

Alix said...

Haha... that is too funny! My little sisters - Bebe and Dolly would find my HIDDEN nail polish and cover EVERYTHING in my room! You are also lucky you did not have me for a child because I guess I took a red permanent marker to all the walls of my house growing up... :)

Stephanie said...

When I was I guess a yr old my mom found my 2 older sisters writing all over me with pen and I was just in a diaper. At least it's not a biting issue. Good luck with the clean up....if you need my cleaner stuff just halla. It got out all the blue pen on my walls. Keep telling youself it's just a phase. It'll stop one day.

Lindsey said...

ahh...how sweet. A young budding artist. What a beautiful thing:)

Ryan and Brittany said...

even though i am not a mother I happened to have a career where I am with 21 children just like Kolby almost everyday. they think it is so funny to take markers and crayons and color on the floor, furniture, carpets, and tables. you really should try using that dry eraser sponge thing. i will try to see where the preschool gets them:) bad boy kolby!! haha just kidding... i love you even if you are a little naughty:)

Texasholly said...

I made this big deal of telling Mom that Ellie would NEVER write on anything other than paper when I was at her house last weekend. Yeah, 15 minutes later she had drawn a smiley face on a shelf.

The Smith Family said...

Don't you just love it when they listen... oh, wait, that never happens at our house either!! I hope you get it off! ((hugs)) (oh, and 10 minutes ago, logan squirted sunscreen on our carpet. fun to clean grease out.)