Wednesday, December 7, 2011

Its a German Thing


Yesterday was St. Nicholas Day.

My children awakened to find Christmas cups, bubble gum and candy in their shoes.
My mother is German and this is one of the few traditions we have to remember our heritage.
However, this holiday is difficult to explain to my children.

And this is how it went with my 4yr old:

Me: Don't forget to put your shoes out tonight
Olivia: all of them?!
Me: nope just 2
Olivia: 2 pairs?
Me: 1 pair, 2 matching shoes
Olivia: because tomorrow is Christmas?
Me: no, its St. Nickolas Day and if you're a good girl St. Nicholas will put a treat in your shoes
Olivia: Does everyone around here put their shoes out?
Me: um...no.
Olivia: But aunt Brittany will, and Ona will and Ona's mom will and Ona's dad will. Mom, I know how this works. Everyone who knows Ona will put their shoes out.
Me: genau
(my fav German word ever, meaning... exactly)

* as a side note, not to offend any Germans who may read this...I am well aware that the correct word for grandma in German is Oma. When Kolby was little he pronounced it Ona and thus yet another one of our "Germish" words were born.

2 comments:

Texasholly said...

I didn't know you did this. So fun! And I love Olivia and her deductive reasoning.

The Powells said...

I love St. Nikolaus Day! We celebrate it too :)